This article will answer some common questions about Data Packs and explain how to purchase one through Toolbox.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
What are Data Packs?
Data Packs are blocks of additional data available for purchase once you’ve hit your monthly broadband quota. A broadband service with a maxed quota will be 'shaped' down to a slower speed, but purchasing a Data Pack will shave off some of your usage to bring you back under your limit.
Which plans are eligible for Data Packs?
Data Packs may be purchased for the following iiNet & Westnet plans (both Residential and Business):
- Current & Grandfathered Naked DSL
- Current & Grandfathered On-net
- Current & Grandfathered Off-net
- Current & Grandfathered NBN™ Fibre (FTTB/FTTN/FTTP/FTTC & HFC) & NBN™ Fixed Wireless
- Current & Grandfathered OptiComm and Places Victoria Fibre to the Home (FTTH)
- Current & Grandfathered iiNet VDSL2
- Current & Grandfathered iiNet Cable (HFC)
Which plans are ineligible for Data packs?
- Mobile Broadband and Mobile Voice
- NBN™ Satellite
- South Brisbane Fibre customers
- Corporate Fibre Business services
What size Data Packs are available and how much do they cost?
The following Data Packs are currently available:
- 10GB for $10
- 20GB for $15
- 50GB for $30
- 100GB for $50
- 200GB for $80
How do I buy a Data Pack?
- Log in to your Toolbox.
- Click Add a data pack in the Broadband panel on your dashboard.
- Alternatively, you can select My Products. If you're on a mobile device and you don't see this option, click the grey square with three lines to show the navigation menu.
- Select Broadband.
- If you have more than one internet service, make sure the right username is selected from the Product drop-down menu.
- Select Purchase a data pack from the Actions menu. If you're on a mobile device and you don't see the Actions menu, click the grey bar labelled Broadband actions to show it.
- Select the type of quota you wish to apply the Data Pack to (anytime, peak or off-peak depending on your broadband plan).
- You'll see a list of available Data Packs. Select the Data Pack you want by clicking on it. Please note that you can't buy a Data Pack large enough to put your usage in the negative (e.g. if your usage is 44GB, you won't see a 50GB Data Pack available).
- Click Purchase data pack to finish. The charge for your data pack will appear on your next invoice.
- Once your data pack has been purchased, your usage should be reduced and your broadband speed should be unshaped within one hour. If you're still experiencing shaped speeds after this time, please try restarting your modem.
If you have any trouble applying a data pack to your service or you're still shaped after restarting your modem, please call us on 13 22 58 for assistance.
Does a Data Pack increase my monthly quota?
No. A Data Pack will not change the monthly quota for your plan. It simply shaves off some of your existing usage, which makes them useful for bringing you back under your quota limit if your service has been shaped.
For example, if your plan has a quota of 100GB, and you have used 105GB, purchasing a 10GB Data Pack would bring your “used quota” down to 95GB (105GB minus 10GB = 95GB). That means you’d have another 5GB to use before hitting your quota limit and getting shaped again.
Does quota from a Data Pack roll over into the next month if I don’t use it all?
No. For this reason, it's important to consider when your usage resets while checking your usage in Toolbox. For example, there's no point buying the largest Data Pack if your usage resets in just 2 days.
I need to buy Data Packs a lot! What should I do?
You should consider upgrading to a plan with more monthly quota. There’s no additional fee to upgrade your plan, and it’ll save you money in the long run. Check out available plans.