Netphone (VoIP) FAQ
This article will answer some frequently asked questions about iiNet’s Netphone (VoIP) service.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- What is Netphone?
- What are the benefits of Netphone?
- How do I set up Netphone?
- Is it possible to have Home Phone and Netphone at the same time?
- Will Netphone work if my internet connection is down?
- Can I bring my landline number across the Netphone?
- If I move house, can I keep my Netphone number?
- Which features are available with Netphone VoIP?
What is Netphone?
Netphone is a VoIP service. VoIP stands for "Voice over Internet Protocol" – basically, it’s a phone service that transmits your voice over your internet connection.
What are the benefits of Netphone?
- Significantly cheaper call rates than traditional phones (for call rates on discontinued Netphone (VoIP) plans, please refer to the plan's Critical Information Summary).
- Mobile call charges are 29c/min (per 30 second block).
- International calls from 5c per minute. Check rates per country.
- 1300 and 13 numbers 30c untimed.
In exchange for these significant cost benefits, Netphone is only available to those who agree to waive their rights under the Customer Service Guarantee.
How do I set up Netphone?
Once your Netphone service has been activated, you’ll need to configure the service in your modem. For full instructions, see Setting up VoIP.
Is it possible to have Home Phone and Netphone at the same time?
Yes, provided your address has an active copper phone line connected and you have an ADSL/ADSL2+ broadband service.
It’s even possible to have calls to your Home Phone number and your Netphone number come to the same handset if it’s connected to your modem in a specific way called “PSTN Failover”. Learn how to set this up.
Will Netphone work if my internet connection is down?
No. If the internet connection is down, you won’t be able to make or receive calls using your Netphone service.
Can I bring my landline number across the Netphone?
Yes, in most cases we can bring your existing telephone number over to Netphone using a process called LNP (Local Number Portability). There are a few things we'll need to check before bringing your phone number over - just call our friendly Sales team on 13 19 17 to make an enquiry.
If I move house, can I keep my Netphone number?
Netphone numbers are attached to geographical zones, so unfortunately we cannot guarantee that you will be able to keep the same Netphone number if you move house.
Which features are available with Netphone VoIP?
Available features vary depending on the type of VoIP service you have with us. Please see the articles for a full list of available features and how to use them.
- Netphone (VoIP) Features - for Netphone (VoIP) services available with ADSL2+, Naked, VDSL2, Cable, nbn™ FTTP/FTTB/FTTN, and nbn™ Wireless broadband.
- Netphone (VoIP) for nbn™ HFC Features
- nbn™ Fibre Phone Features - for Enhanced Fibre Phone services available exclusively for nbn™ Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) broadband.