This article will guide you through the troubleshooting for connection dropouts on an iiNet Cable service.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- Your internet connection will stop and start – it may drop out for short or long periods of time, either randomly or around the same time each day. However, your connection will always return. If your connection drops out and stays out, please see troubleshooting no connection instead.
- You experience dropouts on all computers or devices in your home, not just a single device or only devices that are connected to the WiFi.
- The lights on the front of your modem may indicate a problem; please check the user manual to learn the meaning of your modem's status lights. Guides for iiNet modems are located here.
Things to check first
|Loose or damaged cables
||Check that all cables are in good condition and plugged in securely, particularly the screw-on coaxial cable.
||Test your connection on a computer connected to your modem with an Ethernet cable to confirm that the issue isn’t just WiFi dropouts.
||To rule out the possibility of data congestion, reduce the number of devices connected to your home network.
||Keep note of the times when your internet connect drops out, particularly if it only seems to happen around 5-8PM, which is a time when network congestion commonly occurs.
- Unplug any additional WiFi routers from the Cable modem. This is known as “isolating” your modem, because it is now the only thing plugged in.
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect a computer directly to the yellow Ethernet port on the back of your modem, then try to view a website.
- Leave your modem isolated like this for at least 24 hours, writing down the time any dropouts occur, and how long they last.
If your internet doesn't drop out any more, the issue is most likely WiFi dropouts.
- If possible, try using a different Ethernet cable to connect your modem to the computer. An old or damaged cable may be interfering with the connection.
- If you still experience dropouts, please call us on 13 22 58 for further assistance.