Unwanted Phone Calls
This article will explain what to do if you’re getting unwanted phone calls to your home phone number.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- Are the callers telemarketers?
- Phone harassment and other malicious calls
- What do I need to do when I have a Malicious Call Trace active on my home phone?
- How much does a Malicious Call Trace cost?
Are the callers telemarketers?
If the calls are unsolicited telemarketers from businesses you haven’t dealt with before or asked to call you (a.k.a “cold calling”) then you should register on the Do Not Call Register.
This register is managed by the Australian Communications and Media Authority on behalf of the Australian Government. Once you have registered, most telemarketers and fax marketers must not contact you.
Phone harassment and other malicious calls
If you’re getting threatening or otherwise unwelcome calls that:
- Total 10 or more unwelcome calls spread over a 24 hour period;
- Total 3 or more unwelcome calls over a 48 to 120 hour period; or
- Are made at consistent and/or regular intervals
Please call us on 13 22 58 and request a Malicious Call Trace (MCT) as soon as possible.
What do I need to do when I have a Malicious Call Trace active on my home phone?
- Once iiNet have confirmed your Malicious Call Trace (MCT) is active, when you get an unwelcome phone call, make sure you do not speak to or threaten the caller.
- After the caller has hung up, leave the phone off the hook for 5 -10 minutes.
- Write down the time and date of each unwelcome call.
- Once you have recorded at least 3 unwelcome calls over 2 - 5 days, please send these details along with your reference number to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on 13 22 58.
- A successful MCT will result in a Cease and Desist being sent to to the malicious caller by the wholesale provider of their phone service. At no point is the malicious caller's identity supplied to iiNet or to you.
- If the calls were threatening or criminal in nature, please contact your local police department and tell them about the malicious calls. The police can send a fax on their letterhead to iiNet's Compliance Officer on (08) 6263 3871 with your name, phone number, address, and quote the Crimes Act to get the MCT results forwarded to them for further action.
How much does a Malicious Call Trace cost?
The first month of a Malicious Call Trace is free, and it will be automatically deactivated after that first month.
If you want to continue the Malicious Call Trace service after the first month at a cost $5.50 per month, please call us on 13 22 58.