This article will explain how to manually upgrade the firmware for an iiNet VDSL Home Gateway (Huawei HG658).
- Download the latest firmware file from our website at: http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/iinet/firmware/HomeGateway/HuaweiHG658/
Note: If you don't have internet access at your location, you may need to go elsewhere to download the firmware file onto a USB flash drive, CD or another form of portable file storage. You can use this to get the firmware file onto your computer or device that's connected to your VDSL Home Gateway.
- On a computer or WiFi device that's connected to your Home Gateway, open your web browser and go to http://192.168.1.1
- Log in with the default username "admin" and password "admin". If you have changed the password from the default, use your custom password instead.
- Click the Maintenance tab in the left-hand column, and then select Device from the sub-menu.
- On this page, click the Firmware Upgrade tab.
- Click the Browse button and locate the firmware file you saved on your computer.
- Click Software Upgrade. The update may take 2-5 minutes to complete, at which point your Home Gateway will reboot and your web browser should return to the 192.168.1.1 login page.
IMPORTANT: Do not turn off your Home Gateway during the firmware upgrade.
- After upgrading the firmware, your Home Gateway needs to be reset to factory defaults. Please note that doing this will wipe all custom settings from the modem, including your internet configuration and WiFi settings.
- Log back into the modem settings at http://192.168.1.1
- In the left-hand column, click the Maintenance tab then Device from the sub-menu.
- On this page, click the Reset tab and then the Restore Default Settings button.
- Confirm your decision. The modem may take 2-5 minutes to factory reset, and it will reboot afterwards. Your web browser will return to the 192.168.1.1 login page.
- Log back in with the default password "admin". If you previously had a custom password, this would have been wiped during the factory reset and you'll need to set it up again.
- Follow the Quick Setup Guide (available here) for your Home Gateway to set up your VDSL broadband, WiFi and Netphone (VoIP) services again. If you get stuck at any point, feel free to give us a call on 13 22 58 and we'll be happy to help.