This article will teach you how to clear your browser cache in various popular web browsers.
A browser cache is a collection of data from frequently visited websites. By saving this data, your browser can load it faster for you the next time that website is visited. Sometimes there can be an error in the way that your browser saves new data to the cache, which can cause problems when websites are loading.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
Clearing your cache in Firefox
- Open Firefox and click on the Menu button (three horizontal lines) in the top right-hand corner of the window.
- Click History in the drop-down menu, and then select Clear Recent History.
- For Time range to clear, select Everything from the drop-down menu. You may also need to click the down arrow to expand the Details list.
- In the Details list, make sure Cache is ticked before clicking Clear Now to finish.
Clearing your cache in Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and press CTRL + SHIFT + DELETE on your keyboard. This should bring up the Clear browsing data window.
- Alternatively, click the Menu button (three horizontal lines) in the top right-hand corner of the window and select History from the drop-down menu. You can then click the Clear browsing data button.
- For Obliterate the following items from, select "the beginning of time" from the drop-down menu.
- Make sure that both Browsing history and Cached images and files are ticked before clicking Clear browsing data to finish.
Clearing your cache in Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer and click the Cog button in the top right-hand corner of the window.
- Select Internet options from the drop-down menu.
- Make sure you're looking at the General tab in the pop-up window. In the Browsing history section, click Delete.
- Make sure that Temporary Internet Files and website files is ticked, and then click Delete to finish.
Clearing your cache in Microsoft Edge
- Open Edge and click the three dots icon in the top right-hand corner. Select Settings from the list.
- In the Settings menu, click the Choose what to clear button under "Clear browsing data". You may need to scroll down the list a bit to see it.
- Tick Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files, then click Clear to finish.
Clearing your cache in Safari
- Open Safari and click the History tab in the top menu bar.
- Select Clear History from the drop-down menu.
- Click Clear to finish.