This article will show you how to manually set the DNS server for your iiNet broadband in Windows and Mac operating systems.
In most cases, your computer will obtain DNS settings automatically and you won't need to set it manually. Sometimes DNS may need to be set manually if you're experiencing browsing issues.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
Set DNS server in Windows
These instructions apply to Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP. Example screenshots have been taken using Windows 10.
- Log in to Windows with an Administrator account. If your account doesn’t have Administrator privileges, you may not be able to adjust your DNS server settings.
- Open the Start menu and select Control Panel.
Note for Windows 10: Simply click the Search icon (magnifying glass) in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen and search for "Control Panel". It will appear at the top of the search results as the best match.
Note for Windows 8: Simply begin typing “Control panel” while viewing the Start screen. Click Control Panel in the search results to open it.
- In the Control Panel, select Network and Internet, and then Network and Sharing Centre.
Note for Windows XP: Click "Network Connections" and then skip to step 5.
- Select Change adapter settings in the left-hand column.
- Right-click on your active internet connection (this may be "Ethernet", "Wireless Network Connection" or "Local Area Connection" depending on how your computer is set up) and select Properties.
- In the Networking tab, click once on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to highlight it, and then click Properties.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses and then enter the following:
Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
Alternate DNS server: 188.8.131.52
- Click OK to finish.
Set DNS server in Mac OSX and macOS
- On the desktop, click the Apple icon in the top right-hand corner and select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Select Network.
- Select your Connected (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) connection from the left-hand column and then click Advanced.
- Select the DNS tab and then click the plus (+) button in the lower left-hand corner of the window.
- Type the following and then click OK to finish:
DNS server: 184.108.40.206