Annex M FAQ
This article will answer some frequently asked questions about Annex M, which is available for business broadband services.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- What type of speeds can I expect?
- What's required for Annex M at your location?
- How do I turn Annex M on or off?
- Can Annex M have an impact on my download sync speed?
What type of speeds can I expect?
Currently we have been able to provide Broadband ADSL speeds from 256k/64k (ADSL1) up to 24,000kbps/1000kbps (ADSL2+)
ADSL on iiNet's network is ADSL2+ and is technically known as 'ADSL2+ Annex A' which supports a maximum upstream data rate of around 1000kbps. 'ADSL2+ Annex M' is a new high speed mode of ADSL2+ which allows the upstream data rate to be increased beyond the current 'Annex A' maximum, allowing speeds more than double the current upstream.
What's required for Annex M at your location?
To use Annex M ADSL2+ with iiNet, you'll need a current Business Broadband plan with an original sync speed (i.e. prior to adding Annex M) above 8MB in the downstream - otherwise having Annex M will likely provide no benefit to your upload speed.
You'll also need an ADSL2+ modem/router which is capable of Annex M. Please check this with your hardware vendor to ensure your modem is capable of Annex M.
How do I turn Annex M on or off?
Annex M is only visible for Business broadband services - it is not available for residential services. Additionally, Annex M cannot be enabled if your connection is on a Thrillseeker or Gamer profile in the Connection Speed Manager.
- To turn Annex M on or off, log in to Toolbox and select My Products from the top menu bar.
- Select Broadband. If you have more than one broadband service on your account, you may need to select the appropriate username from the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Select Connection Speed Manager from the left-hand column.
- There will be a check box which will allow you to enable or disable Annex M. Click Change connection profile to save any changes.
- If your modem/router supports Annex M, you will then need to log in to your modem's web interface and select an "Annex M" profile under the connection, or set connection method to "automatic" if this option is available.
- For other brands of modems/routers, you will need to consult your modem/router configuration instructions or contact the vendor for more information and support.
Can Annex M have an impact on my download sync speed?
Whilst Annex M can provide a gain in upstream sync speed, this can also have an effect on the downstream sync speed in some cases. Again, this all depends on distance from the telephone exchange and quality of the line.