Hosted Lync Installing the Lync Client (PC)
This article will show you how to download the Hosted Lync client for your PC (Windows).
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
Accessing the installation options
- Log in to your Hosting Control Panel with your username and password (these should have been emailed to you).
- Under your Lync dashboard, click Manage.
- Select the Documentation & Help tab.
- Click Download Lync Application.
- You can choose from either Lync 2013 Basic or the Lync 2013 client.
Please note: Lync Basic does not include call forwarding, team-calling or simultaneous ring features, gallery video view, meeting recordings or One Note sharing. Lync Basic is adequate for your Lync 1 users, but we recommend installing Lync 2013 for your Lync 2 and 3 users.
You'll need to select either the 32-bit or 64-bit version depending on the type of Microsoft Windows OS you're running. To find out which version of Windows you're using, go to Control Panel -> System and it will be listed next to System Type.
Please note: You'll also need to ensure your current version of Office matches the same version of Lync you're installing (i.e. you should install Lync 2013 if you're using Microsoft Office 2013).
- After this point, you'll need to follow either the Lync 2013 (full) instructions, or the Lync Basic instructions to complete your installation.
Installing Lync 2013 (full)
- When you select Lync 2013 (32-bit or 64-bit) client you will be asked to log in. Use your Lync username (email@example.com) and password and click the Log in button.
- The download will commence. The time it takes to complete will vary depending on the speed of your internet connection.
- Once the download is complete, run the .exe file. If you are presented with a security warning (e.g. "This file may make changes to your computer") select Run.
- Click OK to extract the file. You can change the location of where you want the file extracted to by clicking the folder icon.
- Once the file is extracted, you'll be presented with the Microsoft terms and conditions for installing the software. If you agree to the terms, tick the box and then click Continue.
- The software installation will begin. This may take a few minutes - once it's done you can click Close.
- To use Lync, simply open the program and sign in.
Installing Lync 2013 Basic
- When you select Lync 2013 Basic (32-bit or 64-bit) you will be taken to a Microsoft website. Click the Download button.
- Save the file (approx. 340MB) to your computer (e.g. Downloads folder or Desktop). The speed of the download may vary according to your internet speed.
- Once the file has finished downloading, double click on the lyncdownload.exe file.
- Read the License terms and if you agree, tick the box and then hit Continue.
- Click Install Now. You only need to click Customise if you want to install Lync in a specific folder instead of the default folder for programs on your computer.
- The installation will begin. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Once the installation is complete, you can start using Lync by opening the program and signing in.