Mailbox Migration by MigrationWiz FAQ
This article will explain how you can migrate your mailboxes for Hosted Exchange using MigrationWiz.
MigrationWiz is a complete cloud-based migration solution that helps you move your business from your existing mail platform to iiNet’s Hosted Exchange seamlessly, securely and affordably. With no software to install or hardware to deploy, you can begin migrating your mailbox content in just a few simple steps.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- How does MigrationWIz work?
- How much does it cost?
- What does a migration license include?
- What messaging systems are supported?
- What items/folders are supported by migration?
- What items are not migrated?
- How long does a migration take?
- How many migrations can I submit simultaneously?
- What happens if I receive new emails while the migration is still running?
- How do I know my mailbox data is secure?
- How do I purchase migration licenses?
How does MigrationWIz work?
Once you have purchased your migration licenses, all you have to do is log in to the Mailbox Migration portal and follow a few simple steps to configure and submit your migration. Your migration request will be routed to a migration server which will securely migrate all of your mailbox contents and you’ll receive an email once the migration has completed.
If you have already purchased migration licenses from iiNet you can get started by following our migration guide.
How much does it cost?
Migration licenses are charged per mailbox. You can purchase as many additional licenses as you need (typically 1 per mailbox you wish to migrate). The price can be viewed on the product page.
IMPORTANT: Migration licenses are non-refundable.
What does a migration license include?
- Automated migration of mail, contacts, calendars, folders and tasks
- Transfer limit of 50GB per mailbox
- 10 migration passes per mailbox
- Migrate an unlimited number of items
- No timeout limits
- 24/7 free email support
What messaging systems are supported?
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, 2007 & 2010
- Google Apps/Gmail
- VMware Zimbra
- Novell GroupWise
- IBM Lotus Notes
What items/folders are supported by migration?
The following table describes the items that we migrate for various protocols.
|Microsoft BPOS||Emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, journals & notes|
|Microsoft Office 365||Emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, journals & notes|
|Exchange Server 2003+||Emails, calendars, contacts, tasks, journals & notes|
|Google Apps/Gmail||Emails, calendars & contacts|
|GroupWise 7+||Emails, calendars, contacts & tasks|
|Lotus Notes 6.5+||Emails, calendars, contacts & tasks|
|Zimbra 6+||Emails, calendars, contacts & tasks|
What items are not migrated?
The following is a list of items that we do not migrate between mailboxes:
- Items that do not match folder types (i.e. Contact within a Mail folder)
- Custom items that do not inherit from the core system types (Calendar, Contacts, Journals, Mail, Notes, Tasks)
- Distribution lists
- Bounce notifications such as Non-Delivery Report/Receipt (NDR) or Delivery Status Notification (DSN)
- RSS Feeds
How long does a migration take?
There are numerous factors that impact how long a migration will take to complete. Depending on the size and complexity of your mailbox it may take anywhere from 10 minutes to 24 hours to migrate a mailbox. The larger your mailbox, or the more items contained within it, the longer the migration will take.
How many migrations can I submit simultaneously?
The migration portal will allow you to submit up to 50 simultaneous migrations, provided you have enough licenses.
What happens if I receive new emails while the migration is still running?
We recommend that you setup email forwards and change your MX records immediately after you begin the migration to minimise the risk of missing any data, however in the event that email or other items are still delivered to your old mailbox you can perform up to 10 additional passes per mailbox to migrate new/missed items.
How do I know my mailbox data is secure?
Mailbox data (including subjects, bodies, attachments, etc.) is not stored on our servers. In some cases, the data may be cached temporarily in order to optimise network throughput. Rest assured that your data is wiped immediately, if cached, once that mailbox is done migrating.
Your mailbox credentials are stored using AES encryption. Once credentials are submitted, by either the administrator or end-user, the credentials cannot be retrieved or seen.
How do I purchase migration licenses?
To sign-up for Mailbox Migration please contact iiNet Hosting on 1300 378 638. Alternatively if you are an existing iiNet Hosting customer you can purchase migration licenses via the Hosting Control Panel. Once logged in:
- Click on Account then Buy More Services.
- Select the Add-ons category and click Next.
- Choose the MigrationWiz plan and click Next.
- Leave the default subscription period selected and click Next.
- Enter the domain name you wish to associate with the plan (can be any) and click Next.
- Click Place Order.
Your MigrationWiz plan includes 1 license by performing the following actions in the control panel:
- Select your MigrationWiz plan from the Subscription drop-down menu at the top right.
- Under the Service Information heading, click Subscription Resources.
- Click Upgrade Resource Limits.
- Enter the total number of licenses you require in the New Limit field (e.g. if you have 1 license and want 4 more, specify a New Limit of 5) and click Next.
- Click Place Order.
You may need to logout and then log back into the control panel before your new licenses are visible on the Home screen.
Still can't find what you're looking for? Please contact iiNet Hosting on 1300 378 638 or firstname.lastname@example.org.