This article will run you through some troubleshooting for common causes of an iiNet email address not receiving emails properly.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- No emails are arriving in your inbox, even when you know they've been sent successfully.
Things to check first
|Internet connection is down
|You'll need a working internet connection to receive emails. See if you can visit a few websites - if you can't, you'll need to troubleshoot your internet first.
|Issue with the sender's email service
||If you only fail to receive mail from one specific email address, it may be their email service that has an issue sending email, not that yours is failing to receive email. You can check this by asking some other friends/family members to send you a quick test email to see if you receive it.
|Firewall or Antivirus settings aren’t allowing emails to come through
||Temporarily disable any firewall, antivirus or anti-malware software and then check your email again. Please contact your security software’s Customer Support if you need a hand with this or with changing the software settings to allow emails.
|Another computer/device you use to access email has downloaded the email without leaving a copy on the mail server for other devices to access
|If you use multiple computers/devices to access your email but one of them is set to POP protocol instead of IMAP, that may be preventing your other devices from getting a copy of your emails. Learn more.
- First, log in to Toolbox. If you’re unable to log in due to a forgotten password, attempt to recover your password.
- Select My Products > Email. If you have more than one email address, select the right one from the Product drop-down menu.
- It's possible that some mail isn't being received because it's being flagged and deleted as spam. In Email Settings, change the Filter options to tag and then click Submit to save your changes. This will allow messages to reach your inbox with a "Spam" label instead of being deleted.
- Likewise, you may not receive mail if mail forwarding is active. In Email Settings, under Email Forwarding, ensure that Local Delivery is turned ON to allow a copy of forwarded mail to stay in your inbox. Any unwanted mail forwarding rules can be deleted by selecting Remove. Click Submit to save your changes.
- Next, log in to iiNet Webmail. If you’re unable to log in due to a forgotten password, attempt to recover your password.
- If you can't log in to Webmail and it's a new email address, send a test email to your email address using a different email account, or ask a friend to email you. Once at least one email has been sent to your new mailbox, try logging in to Webmail again.
- If you can log in to Webmail, send a test email to your own email address and wait a few minutes to see if it arrives in your Webmail inbox. If the test email isn’t received, this may indicate a fault with the mail server.
- If you can't log in to Webmail or you don't receive your test email, please call us on 13 22 58 for further assistance.
- If you did receive your test email in Webmail, the issue is most likely with the settings in any third-party email software you're using (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail).
- Use the relevant setup instructions for your email software to get to the point where you can access the Account Settings for your iiNet email address.
- If your account has already been created, you should be able to Edit its settings.
- Ensure that your email settings are correct, particularly:
Incoming port: 995 (POP) or 993 (IMAP)
Authentication/password: Yes - use your email address as the username, and your email password
- If you decide to recreate your account to “start from scratch”, remember that you should not delete your original account setup unless you have saved any important emails to your computer’s Desktop or hard drive. Any emails in your inbox or other folders in the email software may be lost if you delete your original account setup.
- If you find that your iiNet Webmail is working but your third-party email software isn’t, please contact the email software’s Customer Support for assistance.