Troubleshooting Fibre Phone for No Dial Tone or Line Noise
This article will explain what to do if you’re hearing line noise or you don't have a dial tone on your nbn™ Fibre Phone for nbn™ Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) broadband services.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
- You hear any of the following when you lift the phone handset or make a call: buzzing, crackling, static, screeching, or popping; OR
- When you lift your phone handset, you don’t hear a dial tone and you cannot make a call.
- Locate your indoor nbn™ equipment - this will be a Connection Box and a Power Supply unit. This is most commonly installed on the inside of an outer wall of the premises, sometimes in the garage.
Note: Since mid-2013, nbn™ Connection Boxes have been installed with a plastic cover by default. To lift this cover and see the ports and lights, gently prise the bottom of the cover away from the two clips holding it in place at the bottom of the unit and then lift the cover upwards. See Lifting the cover for more details.
- To rule out any issues with internal wiring or interference between multiple wireless handsets, plug your phone handset directly into the UNI-V 1 port on your nbn™ Connection Box and make a test call.
- If possible, make a test call after plugging a different handset.
- If your issue is resolved when you use a different handset, the previous handset may have been faulty. We recommend replacing it.
- Turn off the power at the electrical outlet your nbn™ Power Supply Unit is plugged into.
- After the electrical outlet has been turned off, unplug the power cable from the power socket at the bottom of your Connection Box (not from the larger Power Supply Unit - you'll find this cable can't be removed).
- Wait 1-2 minutes and then plug the power cable back into the Connection Box. Turn the electrical outlet for the Power Supply Unit back on and then allow 5 minutes for the equipment to reboot before attempting another test call.
- If your issue persists, please call our Support Team on 13 22 58 for further assistance. If you don't have access to a different phone service to make a call, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.