This article will show you how to update the password for your iiNet email address in the settings of your email software (also known as email clients).
If you've recently changed your email password in Toolbox, you might find that the email address stops working in your third-party email software. This is because the settings for that email address need to be updated with the new password.
If you've forgotten your password, please see Retrieving a forgotten password instead.
Select one of the links below to jump to a query:
Updating via error messages
Most email clients will tell you exactly what's wrong when you start them up, and prompt you to enter your new password.
- For example, if you're using Windows Live Mail, you might see a screen that looks like this:
- Or if you're on an iPhone, it may alert you with an error like "Cannot Get Mail". Simply tap Settings, and you'll be taken to the settings screen for that account, where you can enter your new password.
If your email client fails to prompt you, or you close the message by mistake, you can follow the directions below to update your password through your client settings.
Updating settings manually
Windows 10 Mail
- While viewing Windows 10 Mail, click the Settings icon (cog) in the bottom left-hand corner of the window.
- The Settings menu will slide in on the right-hand side of the window. Select Accounts.
- You'll see a list of all accounts set up in Mail. Click the account you'd like to update the password for.
- Enter your new password in the Password box and then click Save to finish.
Windows 8 Mail
- While viewing Windows 8 Mail, move the cursor to the top/bottom right side of the screen to bring up the charm bar and then select Settings.
- Select Accounts.
- Select the account you need to update.
- Scroll down to the Password field and enter your new password.
- Scroll back up and click the Back arrow to finish. Your new password will be saved.
Windows Live Mail (Windows 7)
- Click the File menu in the top left-hand corner of the screen, select Options, and then Email accounts...
- Highlight the account you want to update, and then click the Properties button on the left.
- Select the Severs tab, and update the password in the Password field. Click OK to finish.
Outlook has had a couple of facelifts over the years, but the process for updating your password hasn't really changed in that time. If Outlook doesn't prompt you with an error when you first open it, simply:
- Click on the File Menu in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Select Account Settings from the Account Information screen.
- Select the email address you need to update from the list in your accounts, then click Change
- Update the password in the password field, and click Next. Outlook will then check that your setting are all good to go.
Mail for Mac OSX or macOS
- Select Accounts from under the Mail menu.
- In the Accounts window, simply highlight the account you need to update, and change the password in the password field.
When you close the window, Mail will ask you to confirm the change.
Outlook for Mac OSX
- Select Accounts from under the Tools menu.
- Select the account you need to update from the left hand menu and enter your new password in the password field.
When you close the window, Outlook for Mac OSX will ask you to confirm the changes.
- In the top right-hand corner of the screen, click the three-lines icon, then select Options.
- In the popup window, select the Security tab and then click Saved Passwords.
- This window will show you all of the accounts Thunderbird has passwords saved for. If you want to see the current saved password, you can click Show Passwords.
- After a quick prompt, Thunderbird will show you the passwords saved for these accounts. As there's no option to change the saved passwords, you'll need to select Remove all.
- Once you've confirmed the removal of your passwords, you'll need to exit Thunderbird by clicking the red X.
- When you restart Thunderbird, you'll be prompted to enter the new password. Enter your new password and then click OK to finish.
- Select the Settings icon from your home screen.
- Scroll down and select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select the account you want to update. By default, your iOS device has probably called this account 'iinet.net.au'.
- Tap the Account ... > again to get into the account settings.
- Tap the Password field, clear it and then enter your new password.
- Tap Done to finish.
Windows Phone 8
- Select the Settings icon on your homepage - it'll be the one that looks like a cog.
- Select email and accounts.
- Select the account you need to update.
- Scroll down the page, and find the Password field. Update your password here, and tap the tick at the bottom of the page to finish.
Please note that the layout of Android OS settings can vary between each device and software version. If this advice doesn't work for you, please check the handset manufacturer's website for support information.
- Tap on the Menu button on your device. It's usually the one to the left of the Home key.
- Tap on Settings.
- On the Settings screen, scroll down and find Email.
- On the Email screen, tap Settings.
- Select the account you want to update.
- Scroll down the screen and tap on the option for Incoming Settings.
- Tap inside the Password field and update your password to finish.